The Essential House Seller’s Guide:
Here at Maslen Estate Agents we want to make selling your home as stress-free as possible as well as getting the best price. If you are planning to sell your property we’ve put together our best tips to help you on your way:
- The first thing to do is find out exactly how much your property is worth and set a realistic asking price. It is worth getting round at least two estate agents for a market appraisal to get an idea of price, but just as importantly to learn more about the estate agent, their approach and services offered.
- Think about whether this is the best time to be selling. Particularly popular times include the New Year and early summer but property in Brighton tends not to be affected by season. A good estate agent will advise you as they will have a thorough understanding of the current market.
- Look at your home through the eyes of a potential buyer. Your estate agent should give you honest advice on how you can increase the value of your home and make it more appealing. See our helpful guide on preparing your home for sale.
- Get done any of those DIY jobs you’ve been putting off! Kitchens and bathrooms are particularly important so it is worth considering updating them if they really have seen better days. If you’re thinking of doing any major work before you sell, we’re always happy to come round and advise you on what’s going to make a difference to the sale price for miminal cost. Getting us in first could save you money and hassle.
- Choose an agent. It’s really important to choose one that will give you the best service and get the best price for your property. Don’t make a decision solely on who has the cheapest commission fee or gives the highest valuation - this can be a false economy in the long run. Take a look at why Maslen Estate Agents are different.
- Before you put your property on the market make sure you have pointed out any major flaws to your estate agent. Although you may feel embarrassed it won’t be anything your estate agent hasn’t seen before and could be the difference between a sale going ahead or falling through at the survey stage. It is also important to agree up front which fixtures and fittings are included to avoid any wrangling later.
- It sounds obvious but the more people that see your property the quicker you’ll get that sale. Make sure you work with an agent that will regularly advertise your property in local press and on the Internet and make sure that your agent has access to your property for viewings. We feature our properties prominently in Latest Homes and The Argus and on seven national websites including Rightmove. Our Saturday Selection regularly gets dozens of people to viewings – ask us about this service.
- When it comes to viewings it is best left to the professionals. Good estate agents know how to show your home in its best light plus viewers are more likely to give valuable honest feedback if you aren’t there. It is also best to keep pets and children out of the way.
- When considering an offer your agent should give you as much information as possible about the potential buyer, and their ability to proceed, to help you make a decision. As well as considering the minimum price you’d accept, the position of the buyer makes a big difference to achieving a successful sale. Your agent should also be able to get the offer qualified by an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA).
- To make sure you get the best possible deal leave all negotiations to your estate agent. They are very experienced and will do everything possible to get you the best price for your property.
- Once a sale has been agreed you will need a conveyancing solicitor to handle the legal side. It is essential that you get someone you can trust who will work with you and your estate agent to make the process as easy and stress-free as possible, so get recommendations. Click here for a more in-depth look at the conveyancing process
. When the solicitor’s details for both parties have been received the sale is confirmed in writing and your agent should keep you regularly updated on the progress of your sale.
- Once your property is sold you get to move, which for most people is the fun part! Moving into a new home is brilliant but not without its challenges so good organisation is key. Ask us about our countdown to moving guide.
For lots more helpful advice on selling your home and moving get a copy of our home moving guide or get in touch. Just give us a call on 01273 677001 or email us.
Ashington Gardens, Peacehaven, BN10 8UE
Wolseley Road, Brighton, BN1 9ET
Tavistock Down, Brighton, BN1 7FN
Gladstone Terrace, Brighton, BN2 3LB